Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The all new minty fresh "What are you up to?" thread!

That is clearly an ice cream cone.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2070 8G
RAM: 4x16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3200
Storage: 1x1TB Corsair Force MP600, 1x1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 1x1TB Crucial MX500, 2x6TB WD Red Pro in btrfs mirror
Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Display: 1x Dell U4320Q (43" 3840x2160), 2x Dell U2719D (27", 2560x1440)
Chassis: Fractal Design Torrent (gray, light tint, ARGB)
Peripherals: Keychron K4v2 (Cherry MX Brown switches) | Keychron M1 | Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k | Blue Snowball iCE | AKG K240 headphones | Logitech Z333 Speakers
Operating System: Pop!_OS 22.04

(04-22-2022, 02:09 PM)theklinks Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 01:47 PM)TheGeekRedneck Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 01:43 PM)theklinks Wrote: Uh ... hello? This thing on?

Welcome back old friend!  Big Grin  Heart

Good to be back, and good to finally be able to hear from you again Smile After eliminating all my socials (except Snapchat and LinkedIn, interestingly enough) I lost the ability to communicate with a lot of people. I had GameBeat for a while but then it went bye-bye for a bit. I've been checking damn near every day ... just happened to come up the one day I was unable to check because I was away from my desk at the office  Big Grin

How've you (and the rest of y'all) been?

I've missed you sir!!! Welcome back.

I have beeen good overall, dealing with my Son's Asberger's diagnosis and subsequent troubles with school behavior and such. My other half getting thyroid cancer and her surgery to remove it. then her sudden onset of seizures that are unexplained (2 so far). but I have finally after about 11 years built a new computer, and all I can say is wow things have changed.
RedXIII: (<------ This is a link)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X (Stock)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi
GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT SE GAMING OC
Power Supply: Seasonic Focus GX 1000W 80+ Gold
AIO: Asus Ryujin II 360
Ram: 32 GB's Corsair Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL 16 (2x16G) (Stock) (Will oc to 4000 Stock timings)
Storage: 2 x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD | 1 TB Samsung 960 EVO | 2 x WD Black HDD 640 & 1TB
Display: Gigabyte G32QC 32" 1440p HDR 165HZ 1500R
Case/Cooling: Corsair 5000D Airflow | Lian Li ST120 ARGB High Static Fans
Accessories: Corsair Strafe RGB MK 2 | Razer Deathadder v2 Special Edition | Sennheiser GSP 550 Headset

Update my Sig with my RIG and a PC partpicker List!

Ram: 32 GB's Corsair Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL 16 (2x16G) (Stock) (Will oc to 4000 Stock timings)
Storage: 2 x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD | 1 TB Samsung 960 EVO | 2 x WD Black HDD 640 & 1TB
Accessories: Corsair Strafe RGB MK 2 | Razer Deathadder v2 Special Edition | Sennheiser GSP 550 Headset

Ohh and I need a Simple KVM so I can use my laptop and PC with one monitor, keyboard, mouse. Did I mention Cheap? lol

Oh, I've dipped a toe into the dark side and have bought a laptop. Now, it was $230 after taxes and shipping on eBay, and some assembly was required, but nonetheless I have a laptop Smile It's a Lenovo ThinkPad T460 with an i5-6300u, iGPU (no discrete graphics), 16GB of DDR3, and a 960GB SSD. I had to add the motherboard, RAM, and SSD myself, and made sure to use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste on the heatsink because why the hell not.

Did I mention I got rid of Windows entirely? My desktop and laptop are both running Pop!_OS 21.10 now. Didn't do any dual-booting in the process, just jumped straight over to Linux because reasons. My primary volumes are ext4 with LUKS, and secondaries are all btrfs. I had to replace my Elgato HD60 Pro because that flat-out doesn't work on Linux, which is where the Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K came from. I'm converting a bunch of VHS tapes so I connected two VCRs: a JVC HR-S7800U for tapes that can benefit from time base correction, and a Toshiba W522 for tapes that don't perform well in the JVC. I can use Blackmagic Media Express to capture the good tapes in an uncompressed format, but I have to use OBS if the tape is too far gone to ensure that the audio and video stay in sync.
Storage: 1x1TB Corsair Force MP600, 1x1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 1x1TB Crucial MX500, 2x6TB WD Red Pro in btrfs mirror
Peripherals: Keychron K4v2 (Cherry MX Brown switches) | Keychron M1 | Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k | Blue Snowball iCE | AKG K240 headphones | Logitech Z333 Speakers

(04-22-2022, 06:11 PM)theklinks Wrote: Oh, I've dipped a toe into the dark side and have bought a laptop. Now, it was $230 after taxes and shipping on eBay, and some assembly was required, but nonetheless I have a laptop Smile It's a Lenovo ThinkPad T460 with an i5-6300u, iGPU (no discrete graphics), 16GB of DDR3, and a 960GB SSD. I had to add the motherboard, RAM, and SSD myself, and made sure to use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste on the heatsink because why the hell not.

Did I mention I got rid of Windows entirely? My desktop and laptop are both running Pop!_OS 21.10 now. Didn't do any dual-booting in the process, just jumped straight over to Linux because reasons. My primary volumes are ext4 with LUKS, and secondaries are all btrfs. I had to replace my Elgato HD60 Pro because that flat-out doesn't work on Linux, which is where the Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K came from. I'm converting a bunch of VHS tapes so I connected two VCRs: a JVC HR-S7800U for tapes that can benefit from time base correction, and a Toshiba W522 for tapes that don't perform well in the JVC. I can use Blackmagic Media Express to capture the good tapes in an uncompressed format, but I have to use OBS if the tape is too far gone to ensure that the audio and video stay in sync.

I got an old Asus Laptop with Pop on it, My Newer (i7 9750) laptop is running 11 Pro as is my PC. Only reason I don't completly go *Nix on the laptop is it has an GTX 1660 TI, and nVidia doesn't like to always work and play nicely with Linux on ocassion. I could Dual Boot my PC if I wanna turn off safe boot.

(04-22-2022, 10:59 PM)neocorteqz Wrote: I got an old Asus Laptop with Pop on it, My Newer (i7 9750) laptop is running 11 Pro as is my PC. Only reason I don't completly go *Nix on the laptop is it has an GTX 1660 TI, and nVidia doesn't like to always work and play nicely with Linux on ocassion. I could Dual Boot my PC if I wanna turn off safe boot.

That was my thought process -- I'll wait until I can get my hands on an RX 6800 XT for within $100 of MSRP to switch -- but end-users should never be subjected to ads in their file explorer. If Microsoft did not want that feature to leak, they wouldn't have put it in the OS in the first place. Nope, screw that. 

I've never had an issue with nVidia under Pop, except for the Quadro P600. My RTX 2070 hasn't had any trouble. I've tried it under Arch as well, and it worked well enough, but I only had one GPU and didn't have to switch between iGPU and dGPU. Not gonna go anywhere near saying "nVidia problems don't exist under Linux anymore," because of course they do, but they've gotten a bit better Smile 

Also, I know that Rocky Linux 8.5 supports Secure Boot, as I've used it on hardware and in VMs a lot. I believe recent Ubuntu releases (not Ubuntu-based distros) support it as well, but I haven't tested it myself.

(04-22-2022, 02:09 PM)theklinks Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 01:47 PM)TheGeekRedneck Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 01:43 PM)theklinks Wrote: Uh ... hello? This thing on?

Welcome back old friend!  Big Grin  Heart

Good to be back, and good to finally be able to hear from you again Smile After eliminating all my socials (except Snapchat and LinkedIn, interestingly enough) I lost the ability to communicate with a lot of people. I had GameBeat for a while but then it went bye-bye for a bit. I've been checking damn near every day ... just happened to come up the one day I was unable to check because I was away from my desk at the office  Big Grin

How've you (and the rest of y'all) been?

Ohh you know me, every day is a struggle sometimes with all that I've been through.   I can't remember where we were when I lost the forum DB, but here's a life update:

*inhales deeply*

- Fell in love with a Facebook friend I knew for ten years and moved to Kentucky in September of 2019.
- Proposed on Christmas eve of that same year.
- Got a surprise backpayment from Social Security - turns out I should have been getting survivor benefits from my Dad's record after he died in 2008.
- Used $19,500 of that money to buy us a 2018 Nissan Altima.  We had no vehicle at the time so it was a godsend, and I fiigured why not get something late model with low miles that would last us forever.   Naive me had it titled in her name because I thought it would make things like insurance easier since I'm legally blind.
- Title goes mysteriously missing shortly after I got it and I spent over a year looking for it.
- "Married" on Christmas Eve of 2020.   Quotes because we didn't get a license, but had a full "union ceremony" in full dress with vows and a pastor and everything else.
- Shortly after the wedding things started turning sour and I started suspecting that she actually had the title to the car.
- 2021 ended up being the year of hell.   Things got so bad, especially by the end of summer that by September 3rd I was rushed to the ER for "pre-arrythmia" due to malnutrition, dehydration, and stress.   I got treated to a 3AM ambulance ride and a 3 day stay in the hospital.    I went from almost 320 pounds down to 280 in less than two months.  Sad
- Things spiraled from there, largely because I fully realized that she basically stole the title of the car from me.   By the end of the month we had a huge fight and I called one of my aunts in Texas for a rescue.
- October 3rd of 2021 I left a house full of stuff most of which I had bought, my car which she refused to giive me without so much as batting an eyelash, and rode back to Texas with my aunt's Sequoia packed to the roof with my computers, clothes, a few electronics, and a few personal belongings.

So today I am living with my aunt (not the one who picked me up) in the same house I had lived in since 2013.   I'm trying to rebuild what's left of my life while I try to overcome the heartbreak of losing the new family I was trying to make a life with.   I've literally spent the last 6 months wallowing in sorrow and self pity.   I picked up a vaping habit in Kentucky which I've kicked once since being back in Texas, but picked up after 6 weeks or so due to Real Life ™ stresses.   I even spent the last couple of months making an effort to reconnect with the wife, trying to see if we could save anything, but that ended a couple of weeks ago by mutual decision.

I think what really kills me is that her online persona oozes religion and the power of God, and I can't fathom how she can be pious after what she did with the car and consequently our marriage.    If I had the legal rights to the vehicle I would have done what was right and either sold it and given her half, or arranged something with her to pay me for my half.    The only thing I can hang onto is that one day she will have to stand before the Lord or whoever rolls the dice, and be accountable for what she did.    And I still deeply love her and the kids, which makes things so much more complicated and difficult.

And I miss the HELL out of Kentucky.   Texas is my home state, but it's just not nearly as beautiful as the mountains of Kentucky and Tennesee. Sad

It's only in the last week that I've decided to pull myself out of the despair and try to get on with what's left of my life.   I've got over two years of tech to catch up on, lots of games to check out, and my health and fitness to regain.    I've spent more time on my PC in the last four days than I have in the previous three years - no lie.   While up in Kentucky the only time I spent on the computer was a few minutes each month maintaining websites for a couple of long time clients.   There were reasons for that, both good and bad.   Good?  The wife had way better graphics and haptic feedback.   Bad?  Major guilt trip every time I even looked in the direction of my office.

So here I am, back in Texas, back home, Gamebeat back online after losing my backups of the DB (left them on a hard drive and DVDs up there), and trying to put things back in order.   Heart
The NoxBox
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K (4.9ghz all cores)
GPU: Asus STRIX Edition Geforce RTX 2080 Super
RAM: 4x16GB G'Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3200
Storage: 2x1TB SPCC NVME in RAID0, 1x500GB Samsung 850 EVO (SATA), 1x 2TB Seagate HDD
Cooling: Thermaltake Ring Floe 360mm AIO Watercooler
Display: LG 34GL750 34" Curved Ultrawide
Chassis: Thermaltake View S1 Snow Edition Tempered Glass
Peripherals: Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB | Logitech G602 | EVGA XR1 Lite | Onkyo TX-NR515 | Micca MB42 Speakers

I remember everything up to you moving back to Texas and getting your stuff back into what is now (again?) your room. Wasn't aware of the rest, but holy shit dude. Good to see you back on teh intarwebs again, felt like a much smaller place without ... well ... gestures wildly

Definitely a smaller place without the ol' Gamebeat crew hanging around.

Let's see, largely my life is the same it was the last time the forum existed, but now I've got that whole "lifetime of bad decisions" coming back to haunt me as far as my health/life goes. Nothing imminent that I know of, but the horizon's looking bad if I don't get my shit together. On the upside I am in the process of getting my shit together, I'm on a mountain of meds and wanting to get on the (definitely metaphorical, maybe literal) treadmill to improve my health.

I'll be getting around to updating my sig at some point, but there's no real upgrades on that front, still rocking the same build I was since last time. I am eyeballing a new CPU/RAM/Mobo combination though, but that depends on if I can get any extra cash in the near future.
THUNDERCRACKER
CPU: Intel 4790k CPU@4.40GHz (Delidded)
MB: ASRock H97M-ITX/ac
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super WINDFORCE OC
RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3-1600
Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
Optical Drives: ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVD BurnerLite-On IHOS-104-06 Blu-Ray ROM Drive
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO
Display: 23.6" Asus VH242H | 20" HP w2007 
Chassis: Fractal Design Focus G
Peripherals: RAZER Mass Effect 3 BlackWidow KeyboardRAZER Basilisk v3 MouseRAZER BlackShark v2 Gaming Headset
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional