Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

RAM Issue

Ok,
I have 4x1GB DDR Dimms in my ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe. For some reason the BIOS will only let me see 3GB of it (says 3072MB usable out of 4096MB installed). Anyone have a clue what could cause this? I know I only have Vista x86 installed (have x64 somewhere, downloading the drivers for it now). I'd like to figure out how to get my BIOS to report 4GB to the OS before I switch over to the x64 version of Vista Ultimate.

runt Wrote:Ok,
I have 4x1GB DDR Dimms in my ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe. For some reason the BIOS will only let me see 3GB of it (says 3072MB usable out of 4096MB installed). Anyone have a clue what could cause this? I know I only have Vista x86 installed (have x64 somewhere, downloading the drivers for it now). I'd like to figure out how to get my BIOS to report 4GB to the OS before I switch over to the x64 version of Vista Ultimate.

try and switch the order of the ram. See if that will get it to recognize the other gig.
That's the only reason i could figure unless on of the DIMM'S is bad.
Chrono
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Q9650 @ 3.60GHz (9x400MHz)
Ram: 8GB OCZ Reaper PC2-1066
Video: EVGA GTX560 Ti SC 2GB @ 900/1800/2004 Heart
Sephiroth - Rog Strix Hero III G731GU
[Image: g1glk1-6.png]

Neocorteqz Wrote:try and switch the order of the ram. See if that will get it to recognize the other gig.
That's the only reason i could figure unless on of the DIMM'S is bad.

its all the same ram (i.e. all the same brand, spec, etc.) and the mobo sees all 4gb, just says only 3gb is usable

I've got two possibilities for ya:

1. Vista x86 normally only utilizes 3.0gb of RAM max (its actually 3.25-ish). Someone told me that Vista SP1 for 32-bit installations fixes that within the OS, making it able to see and utilize more than 3-ish gigs of RAM.

2. Bios update? I know some ASUS boards don't possess the functionality upfront to handle that much RAM. I know my old ASUS board (A7V333) maxed out at 1.5gb with 3 slots, but I could only run 1.0gb due to a bios conflict with my memory speeds.

/$.02
imageshack sucks

The Retro Clarinet Wrote:I've got two possibilities for ya:

1. Vista x86 normally only utilizes 3.0gb of RAM max (its actually 3.25-ish). Someone told me that Vista SP1 for 32-bit installations fixes that within the OS, making it able to see and utilize more than 3-ish gigs of RAM.

2. Bios update? I know some ASUS boards don't possess the functionality upfront to handle that much RAM. I know my old ASUS board (A7V333) maxed out at 1.5gb with 3 slots, but I could only run 1.0gb due to a bios conflict with my memory speeds.

/$.02

no newer bios out there Sad
and since the bios itself says only 3gb of usable ram it doesn't matter what os i install.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weird issue with PCI NIC Card. Overwheat 2 8,644 09-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Last Post: runt