Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Sorce's Backlog: The Next Time Around

Assassin's Creed: Origins
This is very clearly the transitional game between Black Flag and Odyssey, because it incorporates things from both to uneven success. This is also a note that yes, I do know that it was literally the game between those two.

It's called 'Origins', but to be honest, the only real AC stuff happens at the very end of the game as a response to certain... historical events. And also is initiated with a very famous historical event. None of that matters though, because the people you play as, Bayek and Aya, are Capital-A Assassins in all but name throughout the entire game. They even have everyone's favorite wrist blade; one each though, because they split a set.

The story centers around the aforementioned couple, Bayek and Aya, as they seek revenge for the murder of their son. In doing this, they uncover a larger conspiracy than they bargained for, decreasing their odds of success with every new revelation. They'll have to work together (by being apart) to marshal forces that can take on this conspiracy that covers most of Egypt and maybe even far-away places like Rome.

You spend a large amount of the game as Bayek, and this is where all the customization lies. You can change his horses/mules, outfits, hair styles, and most importantly, weapons and gear. You can choose to be a short-range, medium-range, or long-range fighter, and they even give you 4 different types of Bows on top of your main melee weapon. Some are deadly accurate, but you need to be a good distance away, some fire in a spread shot, to hit multiple enemies.You main melee weapons can range from swords, to dual daggers, a staff, a spear, and a couple others I know I'm forgetting. There are a handful of missions where you play as Aya, but there's no customization to the character or anything, but that's balanced out by a Big Boat and having a ship that (for once) lays waste to all that come before it whenever you need it to. So that's a nice change.

So you traverse Egypt, meeting new people and killing them, in addition to meeting old friends and helping them kill people. The wildlife is surprisingly (to me) varied, all of which hate you of course, and the horse/mule AI is wonky as hell if you let it run on auto-pilot. There's a lot of beautiful vistas, and not just of say, the pyramids.

It's overall enjoyable, but there's just enough jank to it (probably because of the aforementioned transitional-game status) to not really want to dive back in for completionist stuff after you've beaten the story.
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Hey kids, do you like violence? Do you hate Nazis? Then boy do I have the game for you.

W2 picks up almost literally after the first one finishes, showing the Kreisau Circle grabbing BJ from the end of the boss battle and then nuking the place as was the original plan. BJ, of course, is near death (again), so there is emergency surgery where he ends up losing more on the inside than people should. It almost immediately cuts to 5 months later, and BJ wakes up from his "restful sleep", to find Anya very pregnant (twins!) and Frau Engel using the full might of the Nazi regime to attack their submarine.

And then you spend the next 14 hours or so (real time, not in-game time) murdering the shit out of Nazis until there is no more left. I mean, there are some undoubtedly left because of respawning, and there's at least two more games in the series after W2 with any number of killable Nazis.

What makes this one more fun is that one of the points of the game is that you are trying to liberate the Good 'ol USA from Nazi control, after they surrendered. Why would they surrender you ask? Well, NYC got the shit nuked out of it. And then groups like the KKK stepped up and made friends with the Nazis due to their common interest, and the game has a lot to say about that whole process. But anyway, you get to travel the US and meet resistance members, forming a coalition to Kill All Nazis. From a bombed out NYC, to a walled-up New Orleans, even Roswell (aliens, maaan~!) and a couple other fun places I won't mention.

As for my main complaint from the first game, BJ being all introspective and whatnot, there is more of that here. I wasn't really a fan, and it did get annoying, but it does not last the whole game. As for why that happens, I leave that to you, dear reader. And for those curious, your save from the first game does not carry over, but towards the beginning of the game BJ relives the moment he had to choose between Fergus and Wyatt, and that sets the path for the rest of the game.

Would I recommend this game? Heck yeah.
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

Decided to do some weeding, and realized I had a lot more games listed in "unplayed" on Backloggery than I really should have.

52 more games than I should have, to be exact. About half the games listed.

Anyway, it turns out that I wasn't moving games to the NOPE folder in my Steam Library when I should have. Games that I... we'll say "greatly dislike"... plus games that won't run, games that no longer access working servers, that sort of thing. So now that all my lists match one another, I feel better because I have a definitive/correct list of games I have yet to beat (and in a couple DLC instances, start), and it's a lot less daunting to look at. I also even added a couple of games to my Backloggery page because I had multiple iterations and didn't realize it.

So as of now, I have 52 unfinished games. And there's also 52 weeks in the year. Coincidence?

Yeah, probably.

Not going to get a listing, but it's worth mentioning anyway.

System Shock Remake - Medical Level Demo
I got this for free because I backed the game on kickstarter way back when, and this is the first big playable section since they've put out. There was a bit of a level earlier, but there wasn't much to it and it was a slice of the entire level that encompasses this demo. Yes, it's still in an "alpha" state, but it was very playable. The only real issue I had was that you couldn't save your progress, so no matter how long you'd have been playing, if you died, that was it.

And let's just say I died a lot. I didn't die after a critical point in the level, but I'll save that for later.

The game (level) looks pretty good, and the graphics are nice. I'm sure they'll also be improved as the game is further developed, but what I saw didn't have that 90s jank that the original had. As before, you start off with a wrench and a lot of questions, that can only be answered with SMASHING. Also listening to audio logs, but mostly the smashing.

Sidenote: First door password is 451, as is the tradition. So thumbs up to that.

You get to wander around the Medical Deck, seeing what's happened to the crew, and at least a little bit of how things are now. This is designed as the first level in the game, so there's tool-tips, and things are generally easier as you figure things out. Eventually you get a pistol, but you don't get a lot of ammo, so you either have to be a really good shot, or just rely on the wrench more often and save the gun for "important" baddies, like the ones that can shoot back. There is an ultimate goal here though, but it's little more than "get to the elevator for the next level", and even though you have a map, have fun trying to understand it.

The upside, and that critical thing I mentioned earlier, is that there is a revive machine. What this typically means is that when you die, you don't load an older save, you just immediately re-constitute yourself as you were when you died. It's the progenitor of the Vita-Chambers in BioShock if you need a better example. By the time I found the one here, I was managing to stay alive pretty well, so I ended up not having to use it.

Anyway, the demo is fun, and it's made me thirsty for more of the game. I'd suggest you download and play it as well, but I'm not sure if it's available to people who didn't back the game. If you can D/L it, do so. If not... oh well.

Decided to go back through the original Mass Effect since there's a boatload of mods you can install now and I've never played with them before. I'd like to say I'll go through the whole series, but who knows.

Well, I made it through ME and ME2, but ME3 will have to be put on hold for now. After all is said and done, the mods I want to use (which is mostly HD textures and video) take up more space on my SSD than I have available... by almost double.

Alternately, Andromeda is only a couple hundred megabytes since that's more file editing and gameplay stuff, which does not take up nearly the same amount of space. So I jumped over to that and am playing a NG++ on my Scott Ryder playthrough, to see if I can hit both the soft and hard level caps in the game.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So I guess I'm gonna do one of dem dere gaming backlog threads... TheGeekRedneck 59 58,655 12-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: ToddSut
  The Backlog: Sorce's Edition Sorce 219 147,896 01-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Sorce