Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Gardening Adventures 2012

I'm doing a little gardening this year. Tried to last year, but the plot we plowed was underwater because of the unusually wet spring. I planted three raspberry bush starts last night - it'll take two years to reach max growth, but hey it's a start. I *was* going to plant strawberries last night too, but the sun was going down and we have ginormous night crawlers that give me the willies.

Anyway, our garden plot is 50'x30'. We're going to use chicken wire and zappers to keep the critters out this year. Hopefully next year I will have constructed a hoophouse greenhouse. But the corn will have to be outside of it.

Our ground is too sandy to really do proper gardening...

I did build a couple of raised beds for tomatoes a few years ago, I thought about tilling them out this year and trying for tomatoes again.

My wife bought these mini starter things so she can start a garden indoors. We've got a bit of space on either side of the AC condenser, but I need to clear out the unwelcome guest plants that have appeared since last week before she can transplant the stuff she's growing.
Emerald: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black, Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite, 64GB Corsair DDR4, Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 XTREME 8G, 500GB Samsung PM981, 512GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Crucial MX300 SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Fractal Design Define 7, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W

evildre Wrote:My wife bought these mini starter things so she can start a garden indoors. We've got a bit of space on either side of the AC condenser, but I need to clear out the unwelcome guest plants that have appeared since last week before she can transplant the stuff she's growing.

Funny, my wife did the same thing. Got some stuff planted in pots outside on our deck since thats the only place we have to put them.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $4024 ($972 with sales)
  • Games owned: 368
  • Games played: 128 (34%)
  • Hours on record: 917.8h

Come to the dark side and have no wives boys!!! :p

Okay seriously though, The topsy turvy is about the best I can get here to grow anything considering i don't have a back yard or a space big enough for a planter box. It did give me good tomato's one year.
Chrono
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Q9650 @ 3.60GHz (9x400MHz)
Ram: 8GB OCZ Reaper PC2-1066
Video: EVGA GTX560 Ti SC 2GB @ 900/1800/2004 Heart
Sephiroth - Rog Strix Hero III G731GU
[Image: g1glk1-6.png]

We have three of those big blue laundry buckets on the patio and are growing tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, banana peppers, and parsley in them. I cleared out that space next to the condenser (got the cultivator attachment for the Ryobeast and grabbed the shovel and rake from the garage), threw down a delicious-for-plants mix of stuff, transplanted the lettuce and watermelons into that space, and planted a few pumpkin seeds just for kicks. Mario was not sitting still as always, but he did enjoy the little blow-up pool we put out...it was 93 degrees out, after all.
Emerald: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black, Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite, 64GB Corsair DDR4, Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 XTREME 8G, 500GB Samsung PM981, 512GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Crucial MX300 SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Fractal Design Define 7, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W

evildre Wrote:We have three of those big blue laundry buckets on the patio and are growing tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, banana peppers, and parsley in them. I cleared out that space next to the condenser (got the cultivator attachment for the Ryobeast and grabbed the shovel and rake from the garage), threw down a delicious-for-plants mix of stuff, transplanted the lettuce and watermelons into that space, and planted a few pumpkin seeds just for kicks. Mario was not sitting still as always, but he did enjoy the little blow-up pool we put out...it was 93 degrees out, after all.

Oh man, how is that cultivator attachment?

Can you get Julie to video you using it? No seriously... I found like two videos on youtube and neither were very telling. I wanna see how well it works...

TheGeekRedneck Wrote:Oh man, how is that cultivator attachment?

Can you get Julie to video you using it? No seriously... I found like two videos on youtube and neither were very telling. I wanna see how well it works...

I've never owned or used a cultivator before this one, so I don't have a basis for comparison, unfortunately. Works well enough for what I need, though. There were lots of roots in the way and it managed to chew through some of them, but I had to stop and take the shovel to those roots a few times.

I also got the edger attachment ... you need to tighten the hell out of it when you attach it to the power head, though, otherwise it'll go askew if you hit a thicker piece of dirt.