Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

New Computer Build Thread!

Alrighty kiddies, I'm getting set to build a new rig. I will graciously post the specs here for you to evaluate and provide feedback and constructive criticism.

go.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 9550

Motherboard: eVga 132-CK-NF78-A1

RAM Memory: Corsair XMS2 DDR2SDRAM (8 gigs going to this machine)

Video Card: Bought from Nox! eVga 9800GTX. I may buy another to SLi with.

Hard Disk 1: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

Hard Disk 2: Western Digital 300gb VelociRaptor (there will be 2 in RAID-0)

Optical Drive: Sony NEC Optiarc 7200S

Chassis: Antec Twelve-Hundred

Power Supply: Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS 9700NT

Totals with misc. cables comes to $1978.37
imageshack sucks

I must say I love your choice in video cards! *snicker* Wink

I personally would NOT go with the EVGA 780i motherboard, nor any other motherboard based on an nvidia chipset. The infamous 'video corruption' issues with the 780i/750i make the board a rather expensive piece of trash in my opinion.

Nvidia has made BIOS patches available that dramatically reduce the frequency of these 'video corruption' issues, but at the cost of introducing artificial latency to the CPU/Memory subsystem. I completely regret purchasing my EVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard for this reason. Oh it overclocks great, it can get my Q9450 past 3.6ghz stable - but never knowing when your entertainment experience is going to be ruined by one of these 'video corruption' crashes just ruins it. I'm actually considering reinstalling my old Gigabyte P35-DS3L... it might have only gotten my 45nm quad to 3.2ghz stable, but at least it was completely stable.

I would go with an Intel chipset board like something based on the P45 chipset. Sure, your pretty much out for the count as far as SLI goes but SLI / Crossfire isn't nearly as great as some people make it out to be. You don't automatically get 'double the performance', it's more like a spotty 20% - 30% at best. And that's if the game supports SLI. And that's with a second card dumping extra heat into your room.

As far as the choice in processor goes, that's definitely what I would lean towards. The 45nm quads are pretty nice because they run so cool and can clock pretty high without even having to touch the voltage. My Q9450 will do 3.6ghz with a moderate bump in voltage, the Q9550 should do that easily since it has a slightly higher multiplier (8.5 instead of 8).

You're going waaaay overboard on the PSU, and Antec isn't a brand I'd exactly recommend without knowing explicitly who the OEM is who is building it for them. I'm pretty sure the Quattro is built by Delta, but it could possibly be a Seasonic build as well. Either way Antec tends to use low quality components that fail prematurely under warm conditions.

I would recommend any of the following:

Corsair 750TX 750w PSU

I own the TX750 and can't say enough good things about it. It's actually based on a CWT design, but as with all of their PSUs Corsair builds the platform with components rated at 50C instead of the 40C everyone else uses. This makes their PSUs extremely durable and extremely stable.

You'll notice I linked to ProVantage's store for this one, it's a few bucks cheaper than Newegg and I've ordered from them many times. In fact that's where I got my TX750 from. Smile

I'd also recommend the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w units without hesitation. (Use code PCP20 before 9/20 to get 20% off!) These are actually built by Seasonic and are extremely reliable while providing ultra clean power. I actually like these slightly more than the Corsair just because they are Seasonic. About the only caveat I can manage to put forth is that the 'Silencer' name doesn't really fit. The Silencer uses an 80mm rear fan that can be heard if the PSU gets hot enough where it decides to spin things up a little. It's not an annoying whine or anything, but when highly loaded under warm conditions you can definitely hear the fan spin.

Both of the above PSUs are solid builds, and they are SINGLE RAIL designs. In today's era of high draw components like expensive GPUs and multi-core CPUs, a multi-rail PSU is highly undesireable. You'll constantly be trying to shuffle devices around to distribute the load amongst the rails whereas with a single rail PSU you have no worries.

If you're dead set on getting a 1,000 watt PSU, check Corsair's TX1000 unit. It may even be cheaper than the Antec you were looking at.

My $0.02 cents

Corsair HX1000

I think that would also do. And HardOCP gave it a Gold award if that means anything.
Chrono
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Q9650 @ 3.60GHz (9x400MHz)
Ram: 8GB OCZ Reaper PC2-1066
Video: EVGA GTX560 Ti SC 2GB @ 900/1800/2004 Heart
Sephiroth - Rog Strix Hero III G731GU
[Image: g1glk1-6.png]

After doing some more research and reading a few more reviews on quite a few different 780i, 790i vs Intel x45, x48, etc motherboards, I'm gonna change up a few of the parts. Explanations afterward.

NEW Motherboard: ASUS Rampage Extreme

NEW RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB DDR3 1600

Everyone (and their dog, mother, etc) seems to rave over the hardcoreness that IS the ASUS Rampage board. The kids over @ the [H] gave this one a gold star. It's got more bells and whistles and heatsinks than I'll be able to shake a stick at. In response to going with a DDR3 Motherboard, i had to look at new memory. I'm normally a Corsair XMS man myself, but looking around at a lot of the entry to mid range priced DDR3, people seem to be having fits trying to run Corsair RAM with a) The ASUS Rampage; and b) With nearly any DDR3-enabled board. Most of the complaints that I've read were things to the effect of "Doesn't run at the advertised timings", "Won't run at default timings without a BSOD", etc etc.

Now, I know that some people (re: Neo, Nox), are probably scratching their heads as per no change in PSU. I DID look at the Corsair and PC P+C units, but history taught me a painful lesson on my last computer build. I had a very trusted colleague in the IT field talk me into a Seasonic power supply. I, like a faithful nerd, did my research. Everyone seemed to like Seasonic, good reviews wherever I went, high efficiency ratings, great user reviews, etc. I, in a matter of MONTHS, burned through 2 of them. One was a D.O.A., so I can't really hold it against Seasonic that much, but the other one managed to fry my motherboard AT A HUGE 80-MAN LAN PARTY. I felt like an ass, because i'd stayed up laaaate the night before, making sure everything in my case was clean, neat, tidy, and that my security software was all up to date. So, I've got a sore spot switching away from my precious Antec power supplies, purely because they've never burned me.

/whew

Alrighty, comment away!
imageshack sucks

The Retro Clarinet Wrote:the other one managed to fry my motherboard AT A HUGE 80-MAN LAN PARTY. I felt like an ass, because i'd stayed up laaaate the night before, making sure everything in my case was clean, neat, tidy, and that my security software was all up to date. So, I've got a sore spot switching away from my precious Antec power supplies, purely because they've never burned me.

I seem to remember you not so much as looking at your computer for several months after that, you were so burned. I feel the pain.

Pciber Wrote:I seem to remember you not so much as looking at your computer for several months after that, you were so burned. I feel the pain.

Those were dark days....

Anyway, On the recommendation from a close colleague here in the Tri-Cities, I'm looking at sticking with an X48-based board that can do DDR2, and still getting 8gb of RAM, rather than my original plan of snagging a DDR3 machine and only being able to afford/want to buy 4gb
imageshack sucks

Yeah that would be my recommendation too, I was actually going to reply to this thread telling you that, but I was completely exhausted last night and said "screw that, I'm going to bed". In fact that's literally the last thing I remember last night.... :lol:

DDR3 is still at such a high price it's just totally not worth it. DDR2 is dirt cheap and you can get some great performing stuff now. I considered going DDR3 earlier this year and just couldn't justify the extra expense. FFS for what you'd pay for 4GB of DDR3 you can get 8GB of DDR2 and a good motherboard!

Also I'm not sure about the 1000w Antec Truepower Quattro, but I know the 850w version is actually made by Enhance. Although it's a pretty solid design overall the fact that once again Antec is choosing to use cheap-ass Teapo caps in it's PSUs makes me throw a word of caution in yet again. I can tell you like Antec, but it's hard for me to sit back and watch you spend hundreds of dollars on something that might bite you in the ass later. Yikes!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EYE CANDY: Computer Re-Build Overwheat 3 9,542 08-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Overwheat
  EYE CANDY: Fractal Deisgn Arc-Midi Computer Case Overwheat 3 12,934 03-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Overwheat
  Proposed system build for 2012 Neocorteqz 9 13,358 10-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Last Post: evildre
  Overwheat's New Computer Overwheat 8 14,566 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Last Post: The Retro Clarinet
  My Dad's computer Neocorteqz 10 13,520 10-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Last Post: nate42nd
  Back to School computer build. The Retro Clarinet 3 6,954 09-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Neocorteqz
  all you computer savvy ppls need to help me :) Aphrodite 0 4,369 06-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Aphrodite
  New Computer Time Neocorteqz 19 25,669 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Neocorteqz
  RE an old thread: Kingston KNS1650R switch util rjg_scotland 13 18,672 11-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Last Post: rjg_scotland