Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

WHS or FreeNAS?

Ok,

I currently have a WHS machine running as my domain controller/TFS server/a lot of crap. Does anyone think its worth keeping this setup or go the simple way and just use FreeNAS instead? The one thing I'm afraid of with FreeNAS is that it doesn't support the File Duplication that WHS does. Or should I just get rid of my home domain and use WHS the way it was intended to be used?
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $4024 ($972 with sales)
  • Games owned: 368
  • Games played: 128 (34%)
  • Hours on record: 917.8h

if it aint broke....
Chrono
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Q9650 @ 3.60GHz (9x400MHz)
Ram: 8GB OCZ Reaper PC2-1066
Video: EVGA GTX560 Ti SC 2GB @ 900/1800/2004 Heart
Sephiroth - Rog Strix Hero III G731GU
[Image: g1glk1-6.png]

true.

Well one thing I've learned is that there is nothing that cannot be done with FreeNAS, and I mean that not only in the traditional file server sense but also in every other sense. Since it's FreeBSD based you can run pretty much anything and everything on it and on much older hardware than WHS since Windows in and of itself requires a fairly modern rig when compared to FreeNAS. You can run FreeNAS on an old Pentium 133 and as long as you have at least 128MB of RAM in it you're not going to have any trouble. Customization out the yahoo and it's free (and legal, for those of us who don't want to or can't pay for a WHS license).

Nox Wrote:Well one thing I've learned is that there is nothing that cannot be done with FreeNAS, and I mean that not only in the traditional file server sense but also in every other sense. Since it's FreeBSD based you can run pretty much anything and everything on it and on much older hardware than WHS since Windows in and of itself requires a fairly modern rig when compared to FreeNAS. You can run FreeNAS on an old Pentium 133 and as long as you have at least 128MB of RAM in it you're not going to have any trouble. Customization out the yahoo and it's free (and legal, for those of us who don't want to or can't pay for a WHS license).

Just realized one thing you can't do in FreeNAS though, cannot run a TFS server on it Sad

runt Wrote:Just realized one thing you can't do in FreeNAS though, cannot run a TFS server on it Sad

TFS server??

Is that the server dedicated to printing out TPS reports? Does it do cover sheets, because everyone's been getting in shit for that lately... :lol:

Source control and some other stuffs

I've been thinking about switching to or at least trying out WHS on the ol' home server of doom. I'm a FreeNAS junkie as anyone can tell from reading this thread, but there are times when it's more advantageous to have another windows box in the house. Plus windows file indexing doesn't seem to work on linux/bsd shares which makes for a lot of headaches when you are trying to redirect the 'My Documents', 'My Pictures', 'My TPS Reports' in windwows 7 (now they're called 'Libraries' meh.

TheGeekRedneck Wrote:I've been thinking about switching to or at least trying out WHS on the ol' home server of doom. I'm a FreeNAS junkie as anyone can tell from reading this thread, but there are times when it's more advantageous to have another windows box in the house. Plus windows file indexing doesn't seem to work on linux/bsd shares which makes for a lot of headaches when you are trying to redirect the 'My Documents', 'My Pictures', 'My TPS Reports' in windwows 7 (now they're called 'Libraries' meh.

the ability to promote it to a domain controller is nice too

I am actually trying to find a computer at home that works good enough to install Server 2k3 so I can use my WHS box as a Backup Domain Controller though. Its a little slow in the PDC role.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FreeNAS 8r776 Overwheat 8 15,460 10-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Last Post: Overwheat
  VIDEO HOWTO: Setting up a FreeNAS Box! TheGeekRedneck 0 4,065 02-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Last Post: TheGeekRedneck